Tuesday, February 12

home comforts...

it has become apparent over the past few days that my household requires some 'home comforts'...there is nothing for it but to get out the crock pot and whip up a warm and hearty meal. my friend Suzanne gave me a whole folder full of 'tried and tested' recipes, she told me any fool and their slow cooker could produce a 'fantastic' meal if they just follow the instructions correctly...(ummm)


having studied the instructions whilst also studying 'paint colors' for mossy shed (multi tasking, i hope you are impressed) and might i add, digesting a little bit of 'cardboard' for breakfast (silent prayer to mail man "please hurry with my chocolate spread parcel") i realized that 'crock pot' cooking is way more than "bung it all in" and hope for a small miracle.


i am going to have to 'saute' meat and on further reading it is apparent that to make beef bourguignon, i require a 'bay leaf' amongst a whole load of other things, infact i believe i can only locate 'beef' and 'wine' in my supplies...this means i have to go grocery shopping, so before i head out the door dear readers, i must share a 'crafty moment' with you...


i noticed once my new drapes were hanging in the studio that it was all becoming a wee bit busy...i think if my studio was in a seperate room from the rest of the house and you could close a door it would be fine, but the truth be told and i have told it before, my studio is 'a open living area', it is a 'walk through' from front door to kitchen and it is also a place for us to gather and read of an evening (doesn't that sound like a walton's moment)...


so i decided my bookcase which is full of craft books, supplies, bits and bobs needed to be hidden away...nothing for it but to make a curtain. i made this descision last week when the windows were missing and a 'cold wind' was blowing through 'the shed'...hence my writing is a bit wobbly as i was stitching with mittens on. i had a go at attaching 'the birdie' a bit differently, Miss Ethel had a blast and only substained a minor injury in the way of a broken needle...


i attached the panel with one of those 'springy' cafe rods so i can actually pull it across and get into my 'bits and bobs' without being attacked by fabric...it would be true to say i am quite satisfied with the outcome...

so there we are, i shall let you know the results of 'the feast' tonight...i am bracing myself to hear groans from our #1 when she walks through the door and smells the crock pot.
however it must go on record that our #3 loves my cooking from the 'pot' and as i feel he is the one in need of 'home comforting' this week then everyone else is just going to have to "eat it" or "go hungry"...

she's thinking being twelve years old is crap at times ~ Tif

8 comments:

Gigibird said...

Browning the meat - the ugly truth of slow cooking...I make a very nice beef casserole without browning...but in the oven.

I actually like the colour of Mossy Shed but I am looking forward to see what colour you choose:)

Fabulous curtain.

Plant a bay tree in your garden then you will never be short of a leaf - as long as you choose the culinary variety:)

kat said...

that curtain is brilliant!
don't give up with the crockpot cooking. you just need to find your crock-groove.

Francesca said...

it's lovely...more abstract than usual, i love the black lace.
you should make some panels like this for people's walls or smaller ones to frame, and stick them in your shop.

i like the bit about the waltons, i am imagining you all sitting round the radio in the evening, all laughing your socks off at the goon show.

looking forward to you finding your crock-groove too - Fran x

ps yes we have a bay tree too somewhere in our garden and it's still alive! they must be hardy.

A&AC project said...

Thank you for the lovely email you wrote the other day Tif ;)
Looking forward to seeing which colour you choose too. The dark green would be my favourite I reckon :)

gayle said...

I just love the curtain. I was showing people at work how you reinvent the slips. They thought they were stunning. The addition of black lace looks beautiful. not in a million year would I have thought of that. I need to sort a curtain, over a drafty doorway to the conservatory. Not sure where to start, but you have certainly inspired me.

Anonymous said...

Being 12 years old is crap sometimes. I remember those days. They can be absolutely no fun at all, at times. Hope a home cooked comfort dish helps! :)

I love the curtain. Especially all of the lace that you added. It's beautiful!

Violette Crumble said...

Super Nice as usual! I love watching Mossy Shed develop.

Anonymous said...

Really great work, love it.
Keep it up!